Sadly, most of the RR. shops and buildings and jobs of the Albina Yards have been relocated elsewhere or obsoleted.
The long building behind the smokestack was a freight terminal constructed in 1959 at $2M expense ($16.3 USD 2016). It was 1,000 feet long and was built in response to booming post-war demand for less-than-carload freight movements. The building, with under floor conveyer system, was the largest and most modern of its kind on the West coast and replaced former freight terminals in NW. (now Pearl District)
Interesting fact: The masonry smokestack prominently visible from the Fremont Bridge stands today due to landmark designation in 1978. Erected in 1887 for a steam power plant, it is one of the oldest railroad structures in Portland and preserved in recognition of the railroad’s “contribution to the growth and development of the area”. A full restoration and preservation including the addition of night lighting, was completed in 2008.